Interested in Paralegal Studies in Augusta, GA?
If you have a knack for spotting details and interest in law, Miller-Motte Technical College’s Paralegal Associate of Occupational Science Degree may be right for you.
Like many students in Augusta, Martinez, Grovetown and Evans, Georgia, you could receive a quality education and be in a new career in no time.
At Miller-Motte Technical College in Augusta, GA, you could complete our Paralegal program in as little as 18 months. Plus, this is a CampusFlex track program. What does this mean for you? You will take your classes on-campus in a traditional group setting and will then complete some of your coursework online.
What is a Paralegal?
During your paralegal studies, you’ll learn the ins and outs of the legal and protective services field. You’ll be a valuable asset to lawyers and judges after training in a variety of courses:
- Introduction to Legal Systems: This course provides an overview of the U.S. legal system. The course introduces and develops terminology and concepts related to the origins and history of U.S. law, substantive and procedural criminal and civil law, the courts, and constitutional and legislative trends and developments in the law.
- Torts: This course addresses civil liability for the intentional and accidental physical and emotional harm to persons, property or reputation. Topics include intentional torts, negligence and strict liability. Defenses to torts are also identified and discussed, as well as special tort doctrines and immunities. The paralegal’s role in a torts case is also explored.
- Family Law: In this course, you’ll learn about the issues surrounding marriage, divorce and custody within the local jurisdiction. You’ll learn the basic principles of property distribution, child and spousal support, as well as marriage alternatives.
- Externship: As a part of our Paralegal program, you’ll also participate in an externship where you’ll have the opportunity to put what you learned to use in the real-world. This 100-hour externship will take place at a local organization pertaining to your interest within the legal profession.
For more information on our externship course and other courses you’ll take, download our Course Catalog.
Career Opportunities with Paralegal and Legal Assistant Training
Miller-Motte’s Paralegal program will prepare you to enter the job market after graduation. You’ll interview for jobs with the confidence needed to land your dream job. Plus, there’s good news for the future outlook of Paralegal jobs: the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 17% increase in demand for Paralegals by 2022*. You will be qualified for jobs like:
- Paralegal and Legal Assistant: Paralegals, or Legal Assistants, are part of the foundation of the American legal system. If you get a job as a Paralegal or Legal Assistant, you’ll conduct research and prepare reports, all to help attorneys win their cases.
- Legal Secretary: As a Legal Secretary, government agencies, law firms and business will reply on you to assist in important research and courtroom procedures.
- Claims Examiner: As a Claims Examiner, you’ll help people get the assistance they need and deserve when life throws them a curveball. You’ll help by reviewing and processing complicated claims.
Start Your Paralegal Studies Today!
If you’re ready to start a new career as a Paralegal or Legal Assistant, give us a call. Once you’ve earned your Associate of Occupational Science Degree, you’ll be on your way to a rewarding new career. Call 800.705.9182 today to get started or click here to request more information.*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Paralegals and Legal Assistants, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/paralegals-and-legal-assistants.htm